Hero TV Fan vol. 2 came out on 11/16, Official Hero Book 2 on 11/18. There’s not much information available yet, but finally enough to warrant a post. I don’t think there’ll be anything revolutionary in these books since Hero Gossips was pretty definitive (but I’ll review them anyway once I get my copies hopefully next week). I’m including also some interesting stuff from Hero Awards 2011 pamphlet. There are some sample photos from Official Hero Book 2 here.
Again, thanks to translatorbros for translating.
Mixed stuff (not sure of which is from where):
- The hospital Tomoe was in is located in Sternbild.
- One of the residents of Oriental Town is a magnetic NEXT.
- According to Nishida, Maverick isn’t a completely wicked man.
- (partially paraphrased) Maverick was affectionate with Barnaby, in his own way. Things like cooking for him and such in private continued for many years.
- (partially paraphrased) In episode 23, Barnaby’s memory did not return completely at once. At first he was roughly in his episode 2 state.
- About Barnaby: The only people with whom he ever interacts without pretense and also shows his brittle aspects are his trusted family and his precious partner [大切な相手].
From Official Hero Book 2:
- Satou: I will think about the continuation as well, if such comes. There are things I would like to explore, such as the characters’ personalities and daily life.
From Hero Awards pamphlet:
- About Barnaby’s slightly sparkling eyes scene from episode 9:
“Touched by the gentleness behind Kotetsu’s persuasion, Barnaby shows a smile.”
- About that odd lighting in the end of episode 24 and Kotetsu’s expression:
“Perhaps due to the feelings of relief and safety brought by his partner’s embrace, his expression remained eternally serene.”
- About Barnaby in the future:
“Hero work with Kotetsu is more preferable than pursuing romantic affairs.”
- A note about Barnaby’s decision to quit in episode 25:
“Kotetsu-san and I are one in body and soul. I believe we will come back one day.”
- Nishida is involved with the movies’ production.
- About T&B in the future:
“The duos that came after them hate being compared to the legendary pair Tiger & Bunny.”
- About SANDY BEACH:
“The song doesn’t really depict the relationship between Tiger & Barnaby and Blue Rose. It’s a marketing collaboration.”
- Keith is the current King of Heroes.
- “Barnaby is still young and he’s a former KOH. Somebody of his caliber cannot stay in the second league very long and sooner or later he will be forced to advance to the first league. But once that happens, what is Kotetsu, who has a mere one minute, going to do… Their struggle to stay and live together might be one of the things we would like to show.”
Information from the new books (not sure which bit is from where):
- Kriem’s hat originally belonged to Jake but he gave it to her.
- Barnaby ended up in the orphanage right after his family’s death.
- H-01 abilities resemble unlimited Hundred Power.
- Barnaby’s cellphone is of a different model than the phones that Apollon normally issues.
- Maverick started showing the Hero activities live in order to increase awareness about the existence of NEXTs.
- “A certain organization” that Maverick mentioned is indeed Ouroboros.
- Ben and Saitou apparently work as a team in Apollon Media.
- T&B’s Double Chaser sunk underwater.
- Chopman’s (note: he’s one of the 2nd League heroes) special technique is karate chop.
- Oriental Town can be reached from Sternbild in a few hours by train.
- The power that Kaede exhibited in episode 17 was the Hundred Power.
Relationship stuff from Hero TV Fan vol. 2 (page 17):
One-sided fleeting feelings!?
Case: Agnes ← Rock Bison ← Fire Emblem
Nothing goes as one would like it and there’s plenty of jealousy, but that’s what makes romantic affairs interesting. The romantic situation of this trio is kind of complicated… But maybe the main cause for this complexity is Fire Emblem?
The way out of this one-way street of love cannot be seen. Poor trio, where does the human passion lead…?
- Antonio: is interested in Agnes
- Agnes: loves ratings
- Nathan: loves Bison’s butt
Nobody really talks about it, but what is Barnaby-san’s romantic situation like?
Surrounded by Heroes crushing all over the place, the reigning ranking champion stands apart from rumors. Let’s indulge in some wild speculation of why he has no interest in romantic affairs!
- Working with Kotetsu is preferable to pursuing romantic affairs.
His relationship with his partner Kotetsu is also great. Is he enjoying his job more than romances!?
- As he’s just started living his own life, romances are yet to come?
Until now he had dedicated everything to his life of revenge. As for the future…
- Maverick’s cooking is too delicious!?
Maverick makes the best food. Does he miss the taste of home-cooked food!?
The idol Hero has unrequited feelings for a single father!?
Case: Blue Rose → Wild Tiger
For some reason, the ultra popular Idol Hero Blue Rose, who is actually just a high-school girl, has fallen for Wild Tiger, a.k.a Kotetsu Kaburagi. What is she seeing in that old and busted middle aged man… Look girl, we don’t mean to be rude but forget about Kotetsu and find yourself a better man!
- Karina is bothered by Kotetsu’s absence when he is on vacation. Is that him on the phone!?
- Crying over Kotetsu being alive. She isn’t even aware that she’s clinging to him…
The reason for the former KOH’s ranking slump is infatuation!?
Case: Sky High → Six
After he had his throne easily taken from him by the smoothly sailing duo Tiger & Barnaby, Keith Goodman a.k.a Sky High seemed to fall into a slump. Recently he has been showing signs of getting back to form though, and it seems that a mysterious woman has something to do with it all… Who is that woman!?
A mysterious doll-like woman with noble features. Not a talkative type.
Mustering the courage, he decides to confess. And the result is..!?
- Keith → Six: infatuation
- Rotwang → Six: production
Other stuff from Hero TV Fan vol. 2
- Barnaby’s lashing out with words in episode 19 was an emotional reaction, not calculated.
- “Barnaby was a Hero in order to take his revenge and to repay Maverick. And when Kotetsu, who has become his ideal Hero, quit, Barnaby quit as well.”
- Barnaby doesn’t object to being called Bunny now.
- Nothing remains of the Brooks’ mansion anymore.
- “The elite hero, who in private is a young man with a heart of glass. Normally brimming with easy confidence, Barnaby never shows his weakness to people. But because of how unparalleled he is, even subtle things can wound him, which creates a brittle aspect of his nature. The only people who can ever see it though and with whom he interacts without pretense are his trusted family and his special someone.”
- About Kotetsu: “The time-limit for his powers has shortened to a mere one minute, but the spirit of justice residing in his heart is as strong as ever. Known now as a “one-minute hero of justice” in the Hero world, he has bloomed a second time, with his partner Barnaby of course by his side.”
- Barnaby about Kotetsu: “He might be clumsy and reckless, but he always does his job with pride and absolute dedication.”
- More about Kotetsu: “Deep in his breast is engraved the gallant figure of the great hero, Mr. Legend. No matter how difficult this occupation gets and what sort of a person Legend truly was, this image will never disappear.”
- Kotetsu is proud of his family and cherishes them considerably.
A couple of notes from various episodes:
- (Barnaby at the banquet) Kotetsu is making himself scarce and that worries Barnaby.
- Expressing his gratitude for all kinds of assistance Kotetsu has provided. Considering how sharp and cross he seemed at the beginning, such humility is almost unthinkable.
- Yuri’s powers activated for the first time during that confrontation with Legend.
- Kaede really hates that Kotetsu treats her like a child.
- Muramasa is not married, he lives with his mother and Kaede.
- Barnaby’s words on TV bring back memories of Tomoe, who said the same thing on her deathbed.
- There are many kinds of heroes, and being one for your family is also one of them.
- Gradually Barnaby started seeing only himself in his repeating traumatic flashbacks.
- Kriem was shaved in order to render her unable to use her powers.
- Kotetsu dragged Barnaby out to help him remember, but it was also an attempt to cheer him up and to take his mind off things.
- Kotetsu’s repeated avoidance is what enraged Kaede.
- Anxiety and insomnia were responsible for Barnaby’s collapse.
- Kotetsu said “I’m really quitting” in order to pacify Kaede (he himself indented to postpone his retirement), but Barnaby ended up overhearing that.
- That Barnaby’s greatest enemy was a man whom he thought he owed his life to was a shock by itself, but finding himself drugged and having even the control of his own body taken from him…
- (Nishida’s comment) Had Kotetsu simply told him the real reasons, Barnaby would have definitely accepted it then.
- Nishida’s comment about Kotetsu’s and Maverick’s direct conversation: “Depicting the reactions of them both is something that we put a lot of thought into. As pretty much everybody who appear in T&B, Maverick is not wholly clear-cut character and he is not a totally wicked man. Talking to Kotetsu of all people disturbed him slightly, and we wanted to show that strange reaction.”
- (About Kotetsu’s state in Maverick’s office) Feeling worthless after he made Barnaby angry with him, Kotetsu ends up revealing more than he should…
About the production process:
- The first designs of Sternbild were drawn in 2008 and it was supposed to resemble Tokyo; the three layered city and the animal and goddess motifs were there since the beginning.
- The goddess statue was intentionally made prominent at many points.